Home | Contact Us |    Employee Access


Home Fire Safety
Only WORKING smoke detectors can save lives. Test your smoke detectors often, and change the batteries twice a year- "Change your clock, change your batteries".  (Free smoke detectors are available thru the Fire Marshal's Office to residents who can not afford them.)

  • Install smoke detectors on every level of your house, and in every bedroom.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher between the kitchen and your exit.
  • Practice E.D.I.T.H. – Exit Drills In The Home!
  • Don't overload electrical outlets. Use outlet strips with built-in breakers instead of light duty extension cords.
  • House numbers- Township Ordinance requires house numbers be displayed on the front of all residences. Numbers must be 4" tall, of plain block form, and must be of a color in contrast of the immediate background.
  • Have at least 1 direct-wire phone in your residence, which does not require electricity. This is important during power outages.
  • Keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children.
  • Clean the lint filter on your dryer after every use.
  • Use extreme caution when burning candles. Blow out candles when they get 1" from the bottom. Keep curtains and animals away from candles. NEVER go to sleep with candles burning.
  • When cooking, never leave your stove unattended. It only takes seconds for a fire on your stove to start and get out of control.


Fire Escape Drills

  • Plan & practice E.D.I.T.H. – Exit Drills In The Home!
  • Practice your plan from every room in your home.
  • Use a chain ladder to escape from upper levels and practice using it.
  • Teach children not to hide in closets or under beds.
  • Identify a place outside to meet in case of a fire.
  • Know how to call for emergency assistance.
  • Using Your Escape Plan
  • Crawl low, under the smoke, and keep your mouth covered.
  • Feel closed doors with the back of your hand. If hot, use another exit. If not hot, open the door slowly and check for smoke and fire.
  • Meet at the designated meeting place outside, then call for help. Never return to a burning building.


Electrical Fire Safety

  • Don't overload electrical outlets. Use outlet strips with built-in breakers instead of light duty extension cords.
  • Use the appropriate watt bulbs in lamps.
  • A tripped circuit breaker indicates an electrical problem. Have a licensed electrician check tripped breakers.
  • Never run electrical cords under carpeting, throw rugs, or floor mats. 
  • Preventing Holiday Fires
  • The winter holidays are a time for celebration and that means more cooking, house guests, and an increased risk of fires. In past years, almost 600 fires per year have been started by ignition of Christmas trees in the U.S., causing an average of 33 deaths, 117 injuries, and $23 million dollars worth of indirect property damage per year. 
  • Never use candles to decorate Christmas trees.
  • Do not leave children unattended in a room with lit candles, and always keep candles, as well as matches and lighters, up high, out of reach of children.
  • When decorating with lights, be sure to purchase only those that bear the mark of a testing laboratory. Check for frayed or damaged cords.
  • Do not overload electric outlets, and always unplug all lights before leaving home or going to sleep.
  • Decorate with flame-retardant or non-combustible materials.
  • Provide plenty of large, deep ashtrays, and check them frequently. After the party, check inside and under upholstery and in trash cans for cigarette butts that may be smoldering.
  • Choose a fresh Christmas tree, and use a stand designed not to tip over. Place the tree well away from heat sources and exits, and water regularly.  

Barbeque and Grilling Safety

  • Use of barbecue grills (propane or charcoal) is permitted only on ground level (yards, patios, etc.). When in use, grills should be no closer than 15 feet from any structure. NEVER operate your grill in a carport, garage, under a patio roof, or on a balcony.
  • When using a gas (propane) barbecue grill, follow the manufacturer's instructions. Make a thorough inspection of the grill at the beginning of each cooking season. Gas connections should be checked for leaks by applying a soapy water solution; bubbles will form if gas is escaping. Damaged or corroded gas tanks should be replaced and not used.
  • When a liquid fire starter is used to light charcoal, only charcoal lighter fluids should be used, gasoline, kerosene or any other flammable or combustible liquid should not be used. The lighter fluid should be used before lighting the charcoal and not while it is burning.
  • Barbecue grills should not be left unattended. Small children and pets should be kept away from the cooking area.
  • When a gas barbecue grill is not in use, shut the gas off at the tank and store it in an outdoor location away from where children play and not in direct sunlight.
  • When transporting a propane tank in a vehicle, such as for refueling, the tank should be placed in an upright position, secured against movement, and not left unattended. In hot weather, a tank should be transported in a ventilated area of a vehicle.

During a Lightning Storm / Power Outage

  • Keep in tune with weather forecasts. Tune to your local weather channel, or TV media source for potential storm warning and instructions.
  • When a thunder storm approaches, unplug delicate appliances such as televisions, computers, microwaves, and stereo equipment. Wait at least 15 minutes after the storm passes before plugging these appliances back in.
  • Refrain from using the telephone except in emergencies.
  • Have a flashlight within your reach in case the lights go out.
  • Have at least 1 direct-wire phone in your residence, which does not require electricity, which could be used during power outages.
  • Use flashlights in place of candles whenever possible. If you MUST use a candle, use extreme caution. Blow out candles when they get 1" from the bottom. Keep curtains and animals away from candles.


For more information about how to keep you and your family safe from fire, please feel free to contact us:
Township of Bristol
Office of the Fire Marshal
2501 Bath Road
Bristol, PA 19007

Phone:  (215)785-5671
Fax:  (215)788-8541

2501 Bath Road | Bristol, PA  19007 | BUCKS COUNTY | Phone: 215-785-0500

Powered by Savvy Software